John Burnand

Part of the Crime & Punishment in Cocking in the Nineteenth Century” series

Unlike most of the “criminals” in this series of articles, who were mostly rural poor trying to make ends meet, John Burnand was a repeat offender who appeared in court for horse stealing and other offences 17 times between 1879 and 1894, for which he received prison sentences totalling over 12 years. In 1888, he was declared “insane” and sent to Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum, before dying in Dartmoor Prison in 1896, aged 41.


Family background

John (or Jack) Burnand was born in the Norton district of Aldingbourne, east of Chichester, on 24 December 1854, the eldest child of Thomas Burnand (1820–1860), a farmer, and his wife Anne née Fogden (1826–1884). He  was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Aldingbourne on 7 January 1855.

Thomas Burnand and Anne Fogden had been married at St Stephen’s Church, North Mundham on 19 September 1850. After John, they had a further three sons before Thomas died on 4 August 1860, aged 39, from consumption (tuberculosis), leaving Anne as a widow with four sons under 6 years old.

At the April 1861 census, Anne and her four sons were living at Westerton Lane, near Boxgrove; Anne gave her occupation as “dependent on friends”. John, aged 6, and his 4-year old brother, Henry, were described as “scholars”. Ten years later, the family were still together, living at Priory Road, Chichester, when all four sons were recorded as “scholars” including John, now aged 16; Anne had no occupation recorded.


Early offences

Burnand’s first recorded brush with the law came in August 1879, when he was 24 years old. On Saturday 9 August, he appeared before the Chichester magistrates, chaired by the mayor, Mr Sharp Garland, a grocer, charged with stealing a pug dog from Mr F.A.S Freeland, an Inspector of Schools, in the Pallant area the previous day. He was remanded in custody until the Monday.

He appeared in front of Mr Sharp Garland again on 6 October, charged with using obscene language to PCs Chase and Caiger when they were taking a woman friend into custody in North Street, Chichester. He was found guilty and sentenced to 14 days imprisonment.

On 18 December, he again appeared before Mr Sharp Garland (now an ex-mayor) on a charge of “being found in a certain outhouse belonging to the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Company for an unlawful purpose”, on the previous night. The newspaper report referred to him as a “notorious character” who “had gained considerable notoriety in the police court”. Various employees of the railway company testified  that he had been seen in the lamp room at Chichester station, and Harold Bridger, stationmaster, stated that Burnard had been seen loitering around the station on several occasions and warned off. After “careful consideration”, the magistrates dismissed the case.

A week later, he was back in court on two charges of assault. The first was brought by Mrs Holmes, the wife of Thomas Holmes, the landlord of the White Horse in South Street, Chichester, who claimed that on Saturday 27 December 1879, Burnand had slapped her on the face during an argument over his attempting to cook a herring in the fire in the smoking room. Burnand denied the allegation, and was supported by two witnesses, including his brother, Edward, who said that Mrs Holmes had struck Burnand first. As a result, this case was dismissed.

During the fracas at the White Horse, Burnand had been arrested and taken into custody at Chichester Police Station for using the “most disgusting” language. At the police station, Burnand kicked PC Phillips several times. He was found guilty of assaulting a police officer and fined 11 shillings, including costs, which was paid.

On 8 January 1880, Burnand was again arrested for stealing a scotch collie dog, valued at £8, the property of John Brotherhood at Pembury. At Tunbridge Wells police court, he was found guilty and sentenced to two months imprisonment with hard labour.


More serious offences

On his release from prison, Burnand seems to have kept himself out of trouble for a short time. At the April 1881 census, he was lodging at The Three Tuns in Chapel Street, Chichester and gave his occupation as general labourer.

In July 1882, he was arrested for breaking into the home of Jane Tupper at Westergate and stealing 10 shillings, a clasp knife and some cheese on 20 July. He was detained in custody until he came up for trial at Chichester Quarter Sessions on 20 October. At the trial, Burnard pleaded that he was in Horsham at the time of the break in, but this suggestion was dismissed and he was found guilty. Having been kept in prison for three months already, he was sentenced to a further eight months hard labour, which he served at Clerkenwell Prison. The report of the trial described Burnand as a “well-known character”.

A year later, he appeared in court at Lewes on 15 October 1883, charged with taking a pony and trap which he found on the edge of the road at Lewes on 12 August. He was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment with hard labour.

No sooner had he been released than he was back in court at Horsham on 17 January 1885 on a charge of being on a train without a ticket. On 22 November 1884, Burnand was seen at Guildford railway station helping load some cattle on the train to Chichester. He told a station porter that he wished to travel with the animals as far as Horsham and was informed that he could not board the train without first obtaining a pass from the goods office. The next morning, Burnand was still at the station and complained to the porter that he had missed the train; Burnand had not visited the goods office to get the pass required. On leaving the station, Burnand waved his fist at the porter, saying that he would know him the next time he came to Guildford. It transpired at the court hearing at Horsham that he was not actually engaged to move the cattle and that passes had already been issued to the two legitimate cattle drovers. Nonetheless, Burnand travelled with a dog on a regular train to Horsham on 23 November; on arriving at Horsham, he did not have a ticket. The ticket collector demanded payment, which Burnand refused, using foul language, following which he was arrested. The court fined him £1 plus costs.

On 8 May 1886, Burnand was again arrested for stealing a bit valued at five shillings from William Smith at Chichester. He was detained at Kingston Prison, Portsmouth until his trial at Lewes on 31 May, when he was found guilty and sentence to four months hard labour.

On 22 November 1886, Burnand was found guilty at Guildford of being in an unoccupied building, for which he was sentenced to 14 days hard labour.


Horse thefts at Chichester

Once again, on being released from prison, Burnand immediately re-offended. On 6 December, he stole a mare and a halter from Edward Symonds at Chichester. That evening, he was seen at Farnham with the mare and two other horses, which he had stolen with a gig earlier that day from Mr John Pullen, also in Chichester. Burnand had left the mare in the care of a Mr Bide, while he went to buy some corn to feed the three horses. Mr Bide put the mare into a field where it was gored by a cow.

On 4 January 1887, Burnand appeared at Chichester Quarter Sessions on two charges of larceny. The charge of stealing the gig and two geldings, as well as two sets of harness and other items, valued at £33 in total, from John Pullen was not proceeded with, but Burnand was found guilty of stealing the mare and halter, valued at £11, from Edward Symonds, and sentenced to 12 months hard labour. The deputy recorder, Mr P.C. Gates commented that Burnand was “of weak intelligence” and instructed the surgeon at the gaol to monitor him, “with a view to his being taken to a lunatic asylum if necessary”.

Almost a year to the day later, Burnand was again in front of the Chichester magistrates on 9 January 1888, when he was found guilty of “being found on enclosed premises” for a “supposed unlawful purpose”. Shortly after midnight on the previous Saturday, Police Sergeant George Keates and PC Phillips passed the stables of John Pullen at Chichester, (from where he had stolen the gig and two horses a year earlier) where they found Burnand with a horse, which had its near foreleg tied up with the hoof close to the knee. Nearby was a large amount of harness. The two policemen challenged Burnand who refused to answer until the sergeant picked up a stick from the ground, close to the horse. Burnand then swore at Sergeant Keates and claimed that the stick was his; he was then arrested and locked up. At the police station, Burnand was found to be in possession of a knife, believed to be stolen. He was found guilty and sentenced to six weeks imprisonment with hard labour.


Theft of a pair of breeches

No sooner had he completed his sentence than John Burnand was again arrested. On 29 February 1888, he stole a pair of trousers, valued at  7s 6d, from William Dench, a clothier and shopkeeper at West Street, Horsham. The trousers had been hanging on a frame attached to the window of the shop; at about 1 o’clock, Burnand had asked the price of the trousers and asked the shopkeeper to keep them for him. At about  six that evening, as Dench was closing up the shop, he noticed that the trousers were missing.

At about 7 o’clock, Burnand visited the Station Inn at Horsham when he approached Arthur Pannell, a hawker, saying: “I have got a pair of breeches I will sell yer.” They were tied up in a dirty handkerchief. Burnand said that the breeches were worth five shillings, but he would accept one shilling for them. Pannell agreed and the trousers changed hands.

On 5 March, Burnand appeared at the Horsham Petty Sessions on a charge of larceny. The report in the West Sussex County Times referred to him as “a well-known cattle drover”, who appeared in court wearing a yellow ribbon round his hat. When the charge was read out, Burnand shouted “I’m not guilty of stealing the trousers, or whatever they be.” As the evidence was being presented, Burnand pulled a hunk of bread and some cheese from his pocket and began to eat. The magistrate, Mr R.H. Hurst, ordered him to put the food away, and when the court sergeant told him to  obey the magistrate, Burnand yelled at him: “Who are you talking to – talking to a dog” and then turned to the magistrate, saying: “I ain’t had any grub yet, sir.” He subsequently put the food back in his pocket, and the trial proceeded.

He again interrupted when Pannell was giving evidence about the handkerchief: “Don’t tell any lies, the handkerchief was as clean as this one [at the same time producing another rather grubby one from his pocket]. I had it washed on Friday morning; it only smelt of fresh herrings, that’s all.” [Laughter]  When Pannell testified that Burnand had told him he had bought the trousers “off some bloke”, Burnand shouted “You are a liar! You ought to speak the truth.” At this point, the magistrate advised Burnand to keep quiet, or face another charge.

PC Hooker then testified that he had found the stolen trousers in Pannell’s van at Crawley, and then went to Chichester where he arrested Burnand. Once the evidence had been heard, Burnard made a long rambling statement, before being committed to trial at the next Quarter Sessions. On hearing this, Burnand again shouted, using “profane language” in “another exhibition of his extraordinary behaviour”.

On 15 March, Burnand appeared at the Lewes Spring Quarter Sessions, in front of Mr Justice Denman, charged with stealing the breeches valued at 7s 6d, to which he pleaded guilty. After the evidence was presented, Burnand again gave a long statement to the court, in which he asked the jury, if they found him guilty, not to send him to Lewes but to another prison, saying that the governor and surgeon of Lewes Prison had “ill-used me”. In his address, he “made a pathetic appeal to the feelings of the jurymen, and, to add to the effect, succeeded in forcing a few tears”.

After being found guilty, Burnard was asked if he had been previously convicted of a felony, and in particular, if he had been found guilty of stealing a mare at Chichester. Burnand exclaimed: “That old Russian pony? I forgot that, sir. They says I done it – I don’t know. I was found guilty and got twelve months.” A full list of his previous convictions was then read out, after which Burnand was sentenced to five years penal servitude. Before being led away, Burnand said: “ Thank you, sir. I can do that on my head.”

Following the trial, Burnand was detained at Lewes prison; on 27 March 1888, he was declared insane and was transferred to serve his sentence at Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum.

In the 1892 police Register of Habitual Criminals, John Burnand was described as being 5ft 7in, with dark brown hair and hazel eyes; he had a large scar on the crown of his head and prominent varicose veins on his right thigh and calf.


Theft of a horse and cart at Hassocks

By the summer of 1892, Burnand had been transferred from Broadmoor to Kingston Prison, Portsmouth, from where, on 22 June, he was released on remand (“ticket of leave”) for the remaining months of his sentence.

Despite now being considered trustworthy, he quickly re-offended when, on Saturday 6 August 1892, he was working for Ernest Masters at Hassocks Farm, eight miles north of Brighton, helping with haymaking for two days. That evening, Masters was going away from the farm for a few days, and paid Burnard his wages and asked him to leave the farm. At about 6:00 the following morning, Masters found that a dark brown mare had gone missing from the meadow next to the farm buildings. He also soon discovered that  a cart had been taken from the coach-house, together with a brass-mounted harness, bridle, rug, cushion, whip and waterproof jacket from the harness room.

At about 6:30 in  the evening of Sunday 7 August, Burnand arrived at the Cobden Arms beerhouse in Cocking (35 miles west of Hassocks), when he tried to sell some of the tack. He offered the harness to Charles Ede, the landlord and a deal was agreed for five shillings. He then offered a bridle to a customer,  William Eustace, a horse breaker from Cranleigh in Surrey. After being asked for three shillings, Eustace purchased the bridle for two shillings.

At about 7:15 the following morning, Monday 8 August, Burnand was at an inn in Alderbury, near Salisbury, nearly 60 miles west of Cocking. Arthur Lewis, the village postmaster and grocer was on his way to the blacksmith when he saw Burnand with a grey pony in the shafts of a trap, with a brown mare alongside. Lewis examined the mare when Burnand offered to sell it. Lewis remarked that the mare was too small. “It’s a useful looking thing but not big enough for me, but I am in want of one.” Lewis then went off to his shop, where Burnand arrived ten minutes later and started negotiating to sell the mare. Lewis again protested that “It’s too small. It’s no good to me.” Despite this, Bernand offered the mare to Mrs Lewis for ten guineas. Lewis then offered to buy the horse for £7 10s, and a deal was completed.  Burnand then advised Lewis that his son would be coming through Salisbury at about 10 o’clock with four other horses, if he was interested. [Burnand was never married, nor is there any evidence of him having a son.]

In the meantime, Burnand had travelled 23 miles south to Brockenhurst, where he stole another horse on Tuesday 9 August, with which he returned to the Salisbury area on the same day. [See below]

Lewis began to have doubts about the mare and on Tuesday, he went to Salisbury police station and told them what had happened, and later surrendered the horse. PC Ellis of Fisherton police station started searching for the horse dealer the following day, tracking him to Bodenham, three miles south of Salisbury on the road to Ringwood. There he found the cart  with a set of brown silver-mounted harness, 16 fowls, three rabbits and a ½ cwt weight. In the cart were a pig net, two dandy brushes, a whip and a rug. Attached to the cart was a light grey horse. PC Ellis took everything to Salisbury police station and handed them over to the superintendent. He then went to Salisbury railway station, where he found that a man answering the description of the horse thief had taken a train on the evening of 9 August.

Word was quickly sent to Horsham police headquarters and Superintendent Richard Denman (who had been the village constable at Cocking between 1864 and 1871) went to Salisbury on 11 August, when the stolen goods and animals were handed over to him and taken back to Haywards Heath where Ernest Masters identified them as his stolen property.

On the same day, Burnand was in Margate, 160 miles east of Salisbury, where he went into the shop premises of William Berry, fruit and vegetable merchant and said that he had been recommended by a Mr Sullivan of Guildford and that he had some produce for sale. The pair then went to the railway station, where Bernand sold Berry some lettuce, cucumbers etc. The following day, Bernand returned to the shop and sold Berry some further produce.

At the shop, Burnand then tried to sell  Mr Berry his coat. Later, the pair met at a pub where they had a few drinks together, before agreeing to “chop” coats. Berry gave Burnand a cardigan and a shilling in exchange for the coat (this was the coat stolen from Mr Masters).  The next morning, William Berry wore the coat to the market where he was laughed at by the other traders, who said that it made him “look like a parson”; he never wore it again.

On Saturday 13 August, Burnand was arrested on suspicion of the theft. Immediately, Superintendent Denman took the train to Margate and escorted Burnand to Haywards Heath. Burnand  initially denied the charges, saying “Not me; you have made a mistake” but on the London train, he confessed, saying: “I have been fairly caught. I did take the horse, and I shall plead guilty.” Later, Supt. Denman returned to Cocking, where he recovered the harness sold to Charles Ede at the Cobden Arms.

Burnand was brought before the magistrates at Haywards Heath on Monday 15 August 1892, when he was remanded in custody for a further week. When the magistrates ordered him to be taken to Lewes prison, Burnand exclaimed: “Don’t send me to Lewes, for God’s sake! They will kill me there.” The following Monday, after further evidence from Ernest Masters,  Burnand presented a statement to the court in which he said that he was sorry for what he had done and that “it was the drink that did it”. He asked the magistrates to settle the case there and then; if they would do so, he would never touch alcohol again and would go to America. Despite this plea, at the request of Supt. Denman, Burnand was again remanded in custody until Monday 29 August.

On 29 August, the case was heard in full, with the evidence as outlined above, Burnand having pleaded guilty to the charge of stealing the horse and cart and other items from Ernest Masters, with a total value of £56. During the hearing, Burnand often made jokes at the witnesses’ expense. When Charles Ede was being cross-examined about the purchase of the harness at the Cobden Arms in Cocking, Burnard called out: “It’s a lie! He ought to be ashamed of himself to say he didn’t bid me for it. He ought to be kicked!” When Athur Lewis, who bought the horse in Alderbury, was giving evidence, Burnand asked him: “How many whiskies did we have together?” with a wink. “We had a drink after the deal, but not before”, replied Lewis. Burnand told Lewis that he was lying, before joking about Lewis losing the £7 10s that he had paid for the horse. When Supt. Denman testified that he had visited the Cobden Arms to recover the stolen property, Denman stated that he had “found the harness on Ede and the bridle on Eustace”. “They looked well in harness, didn’t they?” asked Burnand, amidst roars of laughter in the courtroom. After being committed to a full trial at Lewes Assizes, Burnard called out to  William Berry, who had earlier given evidence about swapping coats “Hi, Bill! Get us some grub over the coffee-shop before they take me away!”

On 8 October 1892, Burnand appeared before the East Sussex Quarter Sessions at Lewes, with Francis Barchand, the Mayor of Eastbourne in the chair. Burnand again pleaded guilty, so most of the trial was concerned with Burnard’s previous convictions. After the prosecutor read out the long list of offences, he remarked: “That is all, your worship”, to which Burnand retorted: “I should think it is a good job that is about all.” [Laughter] The prosecutor added that there were three other warrants against Burnand, including stealing horses at Salisbury and Brockenhurst in Hampshire. “Don’t tell no lies! There is only two. One of those is only worth 28 days. I know what I have got to do.” [Laughter]

After being sentenced to nine months imprisonment with hard labour, Burnand thanked the chairman, adding “You are a gentleman.” Burnand was also ordered to complete his six months “ticket of leave” absence. He was sent to Portland prison, from where he was released on 31 January 1894.


Theft of an “entire” horse from Brockenhurst

On release from Portland prison, Burnand was required to report regularly to the police at Chichester. He failed to do so and was back in front of the Chichester magistrates on 20 February 1894 and returned to prison for a further  three months hard labour.

As soon as he completed this sentence, he was re-arrested and appeared before the bench at Winchester, Hampshire in connection with the theft of an “entire” horse at Brockenhurst in the New Forest on 9 August 1892, valued at £30, together with a rug and head collar worth a further 17s 6d, the property of Mrs Elizabeth Ings, of the Rose & Crown Inn.

At 6:20 on the morning of 9 August, Frank Gray, the head ostler at the Rose & Crown entered the stables and noticed that a grey stallion was missing, together with a horse-rug, and a head collar and rope. Before reporting the loss to his mistress, he had his breakfast and then checked to see if the blacksmith had taken the horse to be re-shod. This not being the case, the loss was reported to the police.

Later that day, Samuel Poole, a labourer working for a Mr Kite, was delivering some timber from Salisbury to Bodenham, 3½ miles south of Salisbury, where Kite was building a reading-room for Lord Radnor at his home at Longford Castle. He passed  Burnand three times that day on his journeys back and forth; each time, the grey horse was being driven extremely hard, with blood running down its hind legs. Soon after seeing Burnand for the third time, the horse was driven into a field at Bodenham belonging to a Mr Bushell.

Immediately on his return to Salisbury, Poole went to the police station at Fisherton to report what he had seen, and as a result PC Ellis went to Bodenham and took the horse and cart and the other items found with it as listed above, back to the police station.

On Tuesday 9 August, Superintendent Foster was on duty at Lyndhurst Fair when he was informed of the theft of the horse from nearby Brockenhurst. Once he had searched the locality, he sent telegram messages to nearby police stations including Salisbury with a description of the missing horse. He was contacted by Salisbury police station the following day and went to Salisbury to confirm the identity of the horse found at Bodenham. By this time, Burnand had left the city by train en route to London and on to Margate.

Following his arrest for the  theft of the horse and cart from Hassocks, a warrant was issued for the arrest of John Burnand, which was only executed shortly before the hearing, as Burnand was serving his prison sentence.

On coming before the magistrates, Burnand claimed that he had bought the horse for £5, but this was rejected by the magistrates, who committed him for trial at the next assizes. He again suggested that “the cursed drink” had been responsible for his actions and he was “going to have no more of it”.

At the Hampshire Assizes held at Winchester on 25 June 1894, Burnand was found guilty but taking into account the time spent in prison since the date of the theft, he was sentenced to just one day’s imprisonment.


Theft of a mail cart at Tonbridge, and theft of a gelding and cart at Barnham

Late Sunday night, 15 July 1894, a robbery took place at the Lower Cock Inn at Hildenborough, near Tonbridge, on the road from Sevenoaks to Hastings, when the burglar entered the stables, which were unlocked, and put a horse into its harness and then connected this to a mail cart before making off.

On 30 July, Burnand was again in front of the Chichester magistrates charged with assault and furious driving, for which he was sentenced to one month and 14 days hard labour respectively.

On 25 August, the missing mail cart was discovered at the White Horse Inn in Islington, north London. A man answering Burnand’s description had been seen at the nearby cattle market on 16 July, with a horse which he said he was taking to the Elephant & Castle, in south London to try to sell it.

On 11 October, Superintendent Bartlett of Tonbridge Police accompanied the proprietor of the White Horse Inn and the owners of the stolen horse, Mr & Mrs Palmer, to Kingston Prison, Portsmouth where they confirmed that Burnand [who was being detained during the hearings below] was the man who had been seen at Islington, and that he was the man seen loitering at Hildenborough for several days before the robbery.  It appears that Burnand was never prosecuted for this offence.

On 24 September 1894, Burnand appeared before the Arundel magistrates charged with three offences: stealing a gelding, the property of Alfred Webster at Barnham on 18 September, value £25; stealing one set of harness, one cart, one whip, one gun, one gun case, one cartridge case, 80 cartridges and one ulster, the property of Richard Collins at Barnham on 19 September, total value £15; and stealing a pair of crutches the property of Walter Boxall at Bury (north of Arundel) on 19 September.

On 18 September, Burnand attempted to sell the horse stolen from Mr Webster to Walter Lambert a butcher at Cranleigh, nine miles south of Guildford, but Mr Lambert was not interested. That evening, Burnand called at Tyler’s Farm, at Shalford, near Guildford and persuaded Mrs Elizabeth Botting to permit him to put his horse and trap in the stables, while he walked two miles into Guildford. “The horse looked much distressed and had evidently been driven a long way.”

The next evening, Burnand was at the Bear Hotel in Guildford when he was spotted by PC Smart of Guilford Police, who had received a telegram from Arundel about the thefts. PC Smart approached Burtrand and said to him: “You are Jack Burnand, aren’t you?” He replied: “Well, what if I am?” PC Smart arrested Burnand, who said: “If I had my gun with me, I would shoot you. [pausing] In the leg.”

The horse and cart, and the other items, were recovered by the police and taken with Burnand to Arundel police station. At the police station, he said: “I shot several rabbits on the road and sold them. I had some parsnip wine given to me, and it got into my head, or I shouldn’t have gone on to Guildford.” When asked to plead on the charges made against him,  Burnand said: “I borrowed the horse. I didn’t steal it”, adding “If I’ve got to go for trial, I shall say nothing.”

When asked about the crutches, taken from Walter Boxall at Bury, Burnand said: “He denied me a glass of water, and seeing the crutches out at the back, I took ‘em up and put ‘em in the cart for a lark.” Burnand was remanded in custody, and committed for trial at the next Quarter Sessions.

On 18 October 1894, Burnand appeared before His Honour Judge Lumley Smith at the Chichester Quarter Sessions. Despite his previous protestations, Burnand pleaded guilty to the first charge, while the others were not proceeded with. He was sentenced to three years’ penal servitude.



Burnand died at Dartmoor prison, Devon on 3 April 1896. The cause  of death was recorded as “Chronic inflammation of the kidneys, accelerated by lung disease”. He was buried at Princetown on 9 April.



1861 England Census

1871 England Census

1881 England Census

1891 England Census

Devon, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813–1920

England & Wales, Criminal Lunacy Warrant and Entry Books, 1882–1898

England and Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791–1892

UK, Calendar of Prisoners, 1868–1929

UK, Registers of Habitual Criminals and Police Gazettes, 1834–1934

West Sussex, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813–1920

West Sussex, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754–1936

Aldingbourne Parish Register:  7 January 1855. Baptism of John Burnand

 Chichester Observer:

11 January 1888. A Suspicious Character

Eastbourne Chronicle:

10 March 1888. Sussex Assizes

17 March 1888. Willing to do it on his Head

East Grinstead Observer:

20 August 1892. Hayward’s Heath

27 August 1892. The Theft of a Horse and Cart

3 September 1892. Hayward’s Heath

Hampshire Advertiser:

3 September 1892. The Horse Stealing Case

27 June 1894. Fortunate for the Prisoner

Hampshire Telegraph:

25 January 1882. West Sussex Quarter Sessions

Horsham, Petworth, Midhurst and Steyning Express

23 December 1879. A Notorious Character

30 December 1879. In Trouble Again

13 January 1885. Travelling on the Railway Without a Ticket

11 January 1887. Horse Stealing

Kent and Sussex Courier:

9 January 1880. Stealing a Dog

19 October 1883. John Burnand

Kentish Gazette:

18 May 1886. Sussex Spring Assizes

Mid Sussex Times:

23 October 1883. Theft of a Pony and Cart – Lewes

1 June 1886. A Groom’s Offence – Chichester

20 March 1888. The Sussex Assizes

30 August 1892. The Hassocks Horse Stealing Case

30 August 1892. The Horse Stealing Case – The Committal of the Prisoner

18 October 1892. East Sussex Quarter Sessions

Petersfield Express:

12 August 1879. Charge of Stealing a Dog

14 October 1879. Using Obscene Language

Portsmouth Evening News:

19 October 1894. A Stolen Horse and Cart

Surrey Mirror:

17 January 1885. Horsham Police Court

Sussex Agricultural Express:

16 August 1892. Another Charge of Theft

27 August 1892. Alleged of a Horse and Cart

30 August 1892. The Horse Stealing Case

18 October 1892. East Sussex Quarter Sessions

22 October 1892. Stealing a Horse and Cart – Hassocks

21 July 1894. A Daring Robbery

28 September 1894. Arundel – Wholesale Robberies

20 October 1894. Hildenborough – The Robbery of a Mail Cart

Thanet Advertiser:

20 October 1894. Tonbridge – The Late Mail Cart Robbery

Tunbridge Wells Journal:

20 October 1892. Theft of a Horse and Cart

Western Gazette:

25 May 1894. Committed for Horse Stealing

29 June 1894. Brockenhurst – Fortunate for the Prisoner

West Sussex County Times:

28 October 1882. Housebreaking – Westergate

10 March 1888. A Cattle Drover’s Behaviour